August - September 2013 Legislative Highlights
Thanks again for all your support. I truly appreciate all the emails, phone calls, returned surveys, Facebook comments, and any other way that you were able to reach out to me. Again, feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions, concerns, complaints or comments. All of my contact information is at the bottom of this post.
September Interim Session
The Regular Legislative Session lasted from January 28 - March 14, 2013. After March 14, all legislators (including me) went back to their regular lives and jobs for the rest of the year. We do meet in "interim sessions," which happen one day a month, to discuss possible bills, to study issues, and to recommend bills to the Senate or House for consideration. Our latest Interim Session was this last Wednesday, September 17. There was no Interim Session in August.
Items discussed by the Legislature during the Interim Session included:
- Results from a legislative audit regarding Utah's child welfare system. Full audit is here.
- Rules governing the ordering of alcoholic beverages at restaurants. See article here.
- Staff and training requirements at taverns. See article here.
- Utah infrastructure and energy needs.
- A report relating to air quality mitigation by government entities. Report is here.
- Teacher preparation and changing student demographics. See reports here and here.
- Next generation 911 services.
- Federal funding cuts affecting state agencies.
- Reviewed reports from the Lt. Governor's office relating to election day voting centers, voting by mail, voter information pamphlet notices, and signing online petitions. See report here.
- Right to a jury trial in termination of parental rights cases. Proposed bill here.
- Review possible legislation aimed at providing stronger rights to biological fathers prior to an adoption.
- Review of fees collected by political subdivisions with telephone bills. See report here.
Full summary of items discussed can be found here.
- Ribbon Cutting at the new Granger High School
It was truly an honor to be part of the ribbon-cutting at the newly-opened Granger High School. This is a building block to an even greater community over the next several decades. Go Lancers!
- Walk-A-Thon at Robert Frost Elementary School
Thanks to Robert Frost Elementary School for letting me participate in their Walk-A-Thon. Here's a portion of the write-up from the Granite School District website:
"For Robert Frost Elementary in West Valley City, one of those moments was the school’s PTA Walk-A-Thon. As the students, teachers, and parent volunteers strolled around the field the focus was about building community support for the school. It quickly became obvious that this community loves their school. Even state representative Craig Hall, whose own children attend Robert Frost, showed up to lend his support for the school."
- Retiree Dinner for the National Association of Letter Carriers
Thanks to the local branch of the National Association of Letter Carriers for inviting me to their retiree dinner and for letting me say a few words. It is my honor to represent so many fine working men and women throughout District 33.
- Recognition by the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce
Thanks to the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce for recognizing me a "2013 Business Champion." This was based on my 2013 legislative votes that encourage business growth throughout the Salt Lake valley.
- West Valley City candidate meeting - Sept. 28, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
On November 5, 2013, residents of West Valley will be voting for a new mayor, and for City Councilmembers. Municipal elections are critically important and affect your everyday lives in many ways.
-Concerned about trash pickup? That's the City.
-Does the neighborhood street need to be repaired? - That's the City
-Need a business license? That's the City
-Does your street need to be plowed in the winter? That's the City
-Think Code Enforcement is too strict or too lenient? That's the City
There will be a Meet the Candidates event on Saturday, September 28, 11:30 - 1:30, at the Scott Wallace home, 4419 Mark Read Circle (3380 West). The Mayoral, Council District 2, Council-at-Large candidates will be there. Lunch will be provided!
- Town Hall meeting with Utah Speaker of the House Becky Lockhart, along with Rep. Craig Hall and Rep. Johnny Anderson - Oct. 3, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
On Thursday, October 3, 2013, Taylorsville City Hall (2600 West 5400 South), 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Come and listen to the Utah Speaker of the House, Becky Lockhart. Rep. Johnny Anderson and I will also be there to make several comments and to answer questions. We look forward to seeing you there. Here's a snapshot of the official invite:
Our next Interim Session is on October 16, 2013
Legislative email: email@example.com
Personal email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cell phone: (801) 573-1774